We believe that God has called and equipped Christian graduate students and faculty to be a redeeming influence among the people, ideas, and structure of the university and professions. In the power of the Spirit, we share the following four commitments: Spiritual Formation, Community, Evangelism and Service, and Integration of Faith Learning and Practice.
Vision Statement: Cultivating a Christ-centered community for the flourishing of UChicago
Mission statement: We equip and encourage grad students to grow in Christ’s love, integrating faith and life.
The Graduate Christian Fellowship is a community of graduate students at UChicago who come together to learn and seek to follow God in their daily lives around campus. We're a part of InterVarsity's division of Graduate and Faculty Ministries.
Contact us here!
- We have prayer on Tuesday mornings with Christian faculty members.
- We have joint prayer walks with AAIV, an undergrad InterVarsity chapter at the university.
- We host three weekly Bible studies on a weekday evening at someone's apartment.
- On some Friday evenings, we have Large Group, which includes worship, discussions, speakers, and an occasional potluck or outing.
- We attend at least one off-campus retreat during the year.
- We have two weekly Bible studies and time of prayer for each other.
Get In Touch With Us!
Feel free to join our Facebook Group!
Follow us @uchicagogcf on Instagram and on Facebook!
We have weekly emails for announcements and communication!
firstname.lastname@example.org - for unofficial communications, like people getting together for dinner, housing requests, or interesting theology questions.
Hard Questions and Honest Answers About the Christian Faith
- When: Tuesday, Feb 13, time 6:30 pm
- Where: Swift Hall common room (1025 E 58th St)
- What: Ask apologist, Rick Mattson, a question that either you or a friend have wrestled with over the years: doubts, race, gender, sexuality, reliability of the Bible, problem of pain, and suffering and evil. Join us for dinner and discussion! (The views presented at this event are not necessarily shared by all of InterVarsity GCF.)
(Re)Searching for Meaning: Finding God in our work
- When: TBD
- Where: TBD
- What: Join the second annual (Re)Searching for Meaning symposium to hear from our fellow researchers about how their work and their faith intertwine!
- When: Friday, Dec. 1, 2023
- Where: Floods' home
- What: An evening of fellowship, food, and fun as we celebrate the end of the fall quarter and usher in the Christmas season!
Midwest Winter Retreat: Graduate students from across the Midwest gathered together to encounter Jesus
- When: Jan. 12-14, 2024
- Where: Camp Manitoqua
- Registration + additional details here
- What: Through talks from InterVarsity staff, small group Bible study, workshops, and solitude, we'll explore the Gospel of Luke. Alongside times of encountering the sheer beauty of Christ will be enriching conversations with others in your field, times for joyful play, and space to rest. Don't let finances or supplies deter you! Contact Eric with questions at email@example.com
Fall Large Group Gathering: Answering Jesus' Prayer: Cultivating Unity in GCF and Beyond
- When: Thursday, Nov. 2, 2023, 6:30-8:30pm
- Where: McCormick Tribune Lounge in Reynolds Club
- What: Free food, worship, and interactive teaching with our InterVarsity Campus Minister, Rev. Eric Flood, DMin
- When: Saturday, Sept. 23, 2023, 5-8pm
- Where: Homes/apartments of GCF members
- What: We will start the evening at Eric Flood's (GCF IV Staff) house for greetings and appetizers. From there people will be split up into small groups to have dinner at participating homes (fill this sign-up sheet for which home/meal you desire to attend). The night will end with all small groups coming back to Eric's home for dessert and sharing how the night went!
- When: Wednesday, Sept. 20, 2023, 6-8pm
- Where: Terrace Seminar Room (801) in the Reva and David Logan Center for the Arts
- What: Are you a graduate student interested in finding a faith community, learning more about Christianity, or making new friends? If so, join Graduate Christian Fellowship for our Welcome Dinner! Come eat delicious food, meet GCF members, and hear about our programming and weekly Bible studies. All are welcome regardless of religious affiliation.
Meet Our Leaders
Related Campus Organizations
InterVarsity (Undergraduate groups) - our sister student organizations for undergraduates on campus
Charles Malik Society for Redeeming Reason - Resources for integrating Christian faith, life and witness with the academic enterprise.
Lumen Christi Institute - Lumen Christi "brings together thoughtful Catholics and others interested in the Catholic tradition and makes available to them the wisdom of the Catholic spiritual, intellectual, and cultural traditions."
Center for Leadership and Involvement - The overseeing organization for our University of Chicago student group and many, many others!
There are many churches in and around Hyde Park, and we list only a few that our members attend here! For a more complete list of churches, please contact us.
Church of the Shepherd
Christ Church Chicago
Hyde Park Vineyard Church
Living Hope Church
Park Community Church
New Community Covenant Church